As the school year nears its end, you are wrapping up your visits and celebrating your mentoring relationship with your mentee. Meanwhile, Seedling staff are already planning and readying a smooth transition for you to continue mentoring in September. Are you curious about what to expect?
- In mid-August, we will contact you about your interest in returning as a mentor for the 2023/24 school year. (If you have already confirmed with us that you won’t be returning next year, we have documented that in our database. Just know that you are always welcome back, and all it takes is a phone call!)
- We will also be confirming your mentee’s enrollment and gathering their preliminary schedule information from the School Contact at your mentee’s campus.
- This process takes a little bit longer for middle and high school mentees.
- Perhaps your mentee has indicated that the family is moving; please allow us this time to confirm. Many times, your mentee is still at the campus where you last saw them.
- If you are planning to return to mentor your mentee, please delay doing so until you have confirmed your first visit with your Mentor Director. We ask that visits do not begin until after the second week of school. For the 2023/24 school year, this time will be the week of August 28th in most schools. Postponing will allow your mentee to experience the “normalcy” of beginning-of-school routines before the gift of your presence is added. By that time, school personnel will have an opportunity to re-establish their procedures for mentors, including the sign-in process.
- Is your mentee transitioning to grade 6 or grade 9? These transitions take special mentoring knowledge, patience, and resourcefulness. In mid-August, there will be an essential training event for those following their mentee to 6th grade and another for those mentors following their mentee into 9th grade. Watch for details in early August!
We are looking forward to seeing you in the fall and hope you will consider recruiting a friend or colleague to join up with you. Seedling New Mentor Orientation will begin in September at our offices in northeast Austin.