For Mentors / Mentees Transitioning to 6th Grade
The goal of this activity is to help our mentees discover important information about the middle school they will likely be attending, as well as infuse excitement and a sense of confidence into your 5th grader. Navigate through your mentee’s future middle school’s website to learn about courses offered, important dates, procedures, school mascots, and extracurricular activities.
Materials / Preparation:
- Access to a computer
- Name of the middle school your mentee will attend (Ask Your School Contact.)
- Copy of the questions listed below to assist you in the middle school exploration and conversation.
Using a computer, go to the AISD website. On the main page, click on “Schools” and find the middle school link. Click on the mentee’s campus. This link will lead you to the standard district site for the school, but don’t stop there! Click on the “Visit Our Main Website” icon.
For other districts, a similar navigation will work. Try https://www.dvisd.net/, https://www.hayscisd.net/, or http://www.pfisd.net/.
Together with your mentee, seek out the following information and talk about what you find. This activity is a great way to discover what your mentee may already know/not know about middle school!
- Where is your new school located?
- What is your new school’s website address?
- What is your new school’s mascot and colors?
- Are students allowed to carry a backpack on campus?
- Is there a dress code? What are the specifics of the dress code?
- When is the next basketball game, soccer game, or track meet?
- Can you locate a calendar of sporting events?
- Are there any upcoming dances or pep rallies scheduled?
- Name some clubs and activities that you would like to learn more about.
- Name some other courses that are offered besides math, science, social studies and language arts.
- What is the name of the principal at your new middle school?
- Find the name of a school counselor.
- What time does school start and end?
- How many different lunches are there? How long is lunch?
- How long are the passing periods between classes?
- Does the school website include a virtual tour of the campus property?