A vision board is a collage of images, pictures and affirmations of your dreams and all of the things that make you happy. It can also be called a dream board, treasure map or vision map. Vision boards are a great way to learn about your mentee, what makes them feel positive and happy. Making a vision board can also be another approach to setting goals, incorporating tactile and visual texture.
For this activity you will need to be prepared to spend several of your meetings working on the board with your mentee. It requires magazines for pictures and words, scissors, a poster board or construction paper, tape and a glue stick.
1. Review this vision board link.
2. When introducing the idea, allow your mentee to choose the theme of their vision board. Some ideas include:
– what makes me happy
– things I want to do
– where and how I will live when I grow up, or
– your mentee can choose a special theme important to them.
3. Keeping the chosen theme in mind, encourage your mentee to choose pictures and words that represent the theme.
4. Ask questions to find out more about their choices.
5. Help your mentee glue and tape the pictures on the board after they determine the placement.
When complete, your mentee’s vision board will be a window into their hopes and dreams.