How was your day? Fine… How was school? Good… How was your test? OK…Anything you want to tell me? Nope…
Does this dialogue sound familiar? If so, try one of these creative conversation starters to get dialogue going. (Remember that conversations are a two-way street. Take care to only engage your mentee in questions that you are comfortable answering yourself.)
- If you had to give every human being one quality, what would it be and why?
- Do you have any recurring dreams? Describe them.
- Do you ever talk to yourself? What do you say
- If you could be a famous athlete, actor, writer or musician which would you choose and why?
- If you were invisible, where would you go, and what would you do?
- If your life was made into a movie, who would play you?
- If you could invent one thing, what would it be?
- What is the greatest song ever written?
- What is the most important quality for a teacher to have?
- If you could know one thing about the future, what would it be?
- If you could trade places with anyone in the world, who would it be and why?
- How do you choose your friends?
- What is the first thing you notice about a person?
- What do you think is the biggest problem in your community, and why?
- Describe the most beautiful thing you have ever seen.
- What would the cover of your autobiography look like?
- If you could trade places with anyone in the world, who would it be, and why?